Building record BNL 047 - 19th century House, Benhall Lodge

Please read our .


Built c. 1810 with adjoining stable block and set within Benhall Lodge Park (BNL 017), the house was destroyed by two fires and much of the original 19th century building has been pulled down and remodelled, the stable block has been incorporated as farm buildings and estate office which is now listed.


Grid reference Centred TM 3723 6098 (119m by 118m)
Map sheet TM36SE


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Benhall Lodge said to be of 1810, `grey brick, six bays, two storeys. Porch of two pairs of Greek Doric columns. The stables also have Greek Doric colonnades, and in addition a central bell-turret' (S1). Benhall Lodge is illustrated in Davey's Seats of 1827 (S4). Depicted on 1st edition OS Map (S5).
Built on new site by Edward Holland in 1815. `Park and garden extend to 130 acres (1891), suffered fire damage (1885), restored soon after. Serious fire damage circa 1981' (S2). This second fire was in 1967, not 1981 - a good deal of the main building was pulled down, and what was left was remodelled to fit in with the remaining wings (S3, R2).
The stable block survives, which was contemporary with the house and now used as farm buildings and estate office. It is Grade II listed. Built in 1810. White brick with slatef roof. 2 storey central block with symmetrical single storey wings. Central block with semi-circular headed recess with clock face in upper part, hipped roof with ball finial and weather vane at south-east end. Wings with overhanging roof supported on paired fluted columns and plain pilasters; casement windows, 6-panel doors, segmental arches. At the end of each wing is a pedimented coach house: twin 8-panel doors to left hand side, blocked entrance to right hand side (S6).

For Benhall Old Lodge see BNL 046 and Medieval deer park see BNL 019.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. p.98.
  • <R2> Bibliographic reference: Eastern Daily Press. 1 August 1967.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Goult, W.. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk A-H.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Email. Joseph Freeman (Norfolk CC) to Sandy Rake, 12 Nov 2009.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <S5> Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.
  • <S6> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online. National Ref: 1030901.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 15 2018 4:56PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.