Monument record SEJ 040 - Former deer park, St James South Elmham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 32 80 (1095m by 1058m)|
|Civil Parish||ST JAMES, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Deer park first recorded in 1326 (S1)(S2)(S3).
St James Park is written on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S4) and illustrated on 1st edition OS map (S5). Unclear as to whether a continuation of the medieval deer park.
Full extent unknown however "Park Cottage" and "St James Park" depicted on 1st edition OS and modern mapping indicate approx location. Approx location mapped to cover St James Park on OS map and SEJ 001.
See also SEJ 001 for possible remains of Dovecote indicated by cropmarks and 13th/14th century pottery.
- <S1> SSF58578 Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Deer Parks 1086-1602, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S2> SSF50165 Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
- <S3> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
- <S4> SSF50156 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783.
- <S5> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2018 3:37PM