Monument record SEJ 001 - Scatter of C13 sherds and two portions of mortar. Cropmarks of enclosure and ponds.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3284 8010 (144m by 145m)|
|Civil Parish||ST JAMES, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Scatter of C13 sherds and two portions of mortar, (one limestone, one Purbeck marble) found in plough soil. Cropmarks of enclosure and ponds, probably of former farmstead, and also ring ditch (possible associated dovecot or windmilll?). This may be the site of a Med house as traces of burning were visible, and it was surrounded by four ponds, now filled in. Reported by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1). EMed pottery and fragments of four mortars. Two of the mortars of shelly limestone (Purbeck marble ?) one joining with fragment given in 1965 (965-88); one of banded sandstone, and one of soft limestone. Excavated at South Elmham St James by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S2).
1082: C13-C14 pottery. Fieldwalking by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S3).
1982: Deer Park Lodge ? Isolated, originally rectangular, now filled in and showing as a slight rise in the field. Moat (site of)[no - does not show as moat on 2010 cropmarks AP - S7).
Deer park of Bishop of Norwich ?, bounded on NE by St James' Lane, on SE by boundary with Chediston, and on SW by boundary with Metfield (NW boundary perhaps marked by dog-leg in St James' Lane (S4).
2010: aerial photograph (Michael Page, copy in parish file) shows 4 ponds within irregular enclosure and includes circular ring ditch cropmark linked to one of the ponds and presumably contemporary - dovecote?(S7).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BEQ 44.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 965-88, 1965.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 967-35, 1967.
- <S3> SSF7243 (No record type): Hardy M J, 1982.
- <S4> SSF18036 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1982.
- <S5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff 1982, PSIA, 35, 1983, (3), 230.
- <S6> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BEQ 44, 19 January 1971.
- <S7> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Michael Page to Pendleton C, Oct 2013, Ap 10 7 2010 021, July 2010.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2018 3:35PM