Farmstead record NDM 056 - Farmstead: Hill House (Dod's Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0812 5549 (159m by 186m)|
|Civil Parish||NEEDHAM MARKET, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Grade-II listed timber-framed structure of mid-15th century origin, which was extended and remodelled in the 17th century, and then later encased in brick in the 19th century. Only half of the medival house remains intact, however the scale of its surviving fragment suggests it was of exceptionally high status. During the middle decades of the 17th century a large cross-wing was built against the northern gable of the 15th century building, and the entire medieval roof was rebuilt in it's present 'butt-purlin' form (S1).
Hill House (Dod's Farm), Needham Market. 17th century farmstead and 15th century farmhouse with converted buildings. Regular courtyard multi-yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Significant loss (overn 50%) of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position (S2-7).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59440 Unpublished document: Alston, L. 2012. Historic Assessment: Hill House, Hill House Lane, Needham Market.
- <S2> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S5> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S6> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S7> SSF59903 Map: 1841. Needham Market Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 4:38PM