Monument record LVT 011 - Levington Heath (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 246 401 (730m by 825m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Field system - series of linear ditches (barrows LVT 004, 005, 006, 007 & 008 fall within this area). Two possible additional ring ditches, 25-30cm diameter each.1914-1918 trenches in centre. (S1) (S2).
A possible Post Medieval field system is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 24634000 on Levington Heath. The features consist of a number of linear ditches which appear to form at least two large rectilinear enclosures, possibly part of a larger field system. The main ditches may have once had a low bank or a build-up of soil on their northern and eastern sides. This could be the result of ditch clearance. A smaller rectilinear enclosure is visible in the corner of one of the larger possible enclosures, at TM 24603996. The orientation of the possible field system in relation to the field layout as shown on the Ordnance Survey 25" 1st Edition map of circa 1884 (S3) and other remnants of Post Medieval field systems further to the south seem to suggest that the possible field system may be Post Medieval. (S1) (S2) (S4) (S5) (S6) The ditches may represent land improvement on the heath which did not amount to wholesale enclosure of the area. See LVT 011/XS20026 for the First World War trench systems and LVT 011/XS20027 for other undated cropmark features in this location. These feature may extend further to the north but the A14 has been taken as the limit of the project area. (S7)
- <M1> SSF42969 (No record type): APs: ACQ 30, 31.
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2440/2 (SFU ACQ 30) 21-JUL-1975.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2440/3 (SFU ACQ 31) 21-JUL-1975.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/637 5116-5117 19-APR-1951.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2439/11 (1845/046) 31-JUL-1980.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2440/6 (1845/43) 31-JUL-1980.
- <S7> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 18/02/03.
- Scheduled Ancient Monument 21288: BOWL BARROW 820M SOUTH WEST OF REDHOUSE FARM: PART OF A BARROW CEMETERY ON LEVINGTON HEATH
- Scheduled Ancient Monument 21289: THREE BOWL BARROWS AND A RING DITCH, 700M SOUTH WEST OF REDHOUSE FARM: PART OF A BARROW CEMETERY ON LEVINGTON HEATH.
- Scheduled Ancient Monument 21290: BOWL BARROW 750M SOUTH WEST OF REDHOUSE FARM: PART OF A BARROW CEMETERY ON LEVINGTON HEATH
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:59PM