Farmstead record LXD 097 - Farmstead: Low Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2907 6988 (93m by 116m)|
|Civil Parish||LAXFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Low Farm, Laxfield. Partially extant 15th century listed farmstead with converted buildings and one listed 16th century barn. Regular L-shaped courtyard with multiyards formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is detached gable end to the agricultural range. There has been partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. Located within an isolated position (S1-5).
Outbuildings, one of which appears to be a failry substantial barn are present on the 1840 tithe map but have been demolished by the 1880s (S6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF59081 Map: 1840. Laxfield Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2019 11:59AM