Farmstead record LXD 102 - Farmstead: Laxfield House (Wood Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2875 7062 (90m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||LAXFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Wood Farm, Laxfield. Partially extant 19th century farmstead with a listed 17th century farmhouse. Dispersed multiyard formed by working agricultural buildings with a regular u-shaped courtyard and a regular t-shaped courtyard. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. There has been partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. Located within an isolated position (S1-5).
The layout of the barns appears to have changed considerably from the 1840 tithe map to the 1st ed OS map, suggesting that the buildings date to the second half of the 19th century (S6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF59081 Map: 1840. Laxfield Tithe Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 24 2019 11:59AM