Farmstead record BUT 108 - Farmstead: Butley Abbey Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3750 4914 (200m by 239m)|
|Civil Parish||BUTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- FARMSTEAD (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD FULL PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (18th century to 19th century - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
- LINEAR PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Butley Abbey Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed OS map and the Butley Tithe map. The farmstead is laid out in a full regular courtyard, an extended regular E-plan courtuard with two additional large linear ranges. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead is set alongside a public road in an isolated location. The farmstead has suffered partial loss of working buildings with large modern working buildings on site.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSF59214 Map: 1846. Butley Tithe Map.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2019 12:37PM