Farmstead record AST 028 - Farmstead: Ashfield Place
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2052 6162 (170m by 138m)|
|Civil Parish||ASHFIELD CUM THORPE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Ashfield Place, Ashfield cum Thorpe. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse. Regular courtyard covered yard plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Total change with total loss of the traditional farm buildings and replacement with modern builidings. The farmhouse survives. Located within an isolated position. There appears to have been an almost complete change in plan from the tithe map (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF882 Map: 1839. Ashfield Tithe Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2019 10:15AM