Monument record SUS 004 - In large pit on Stuston Common, 8-9 feet diameter, Basil Brown found hearth of EBA, probably used for making pottery.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1342 7864 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||STUSTON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
In large pit on Stuston Common, 8-9 feet diameter, Basil Brown found hearth of EBA, probably used for making pottery. Find made in June 1955, when he obtained permission to excavate hearth. The hearth was in the NNE face of an old gravel pit on the 100 feet contour and was oval in shape, roughly 2 feet across and 6 inches deep and approximately 18 inches below ground surface. Two sherds of Beaker pottery A with incised finger nail decoration and a few B type sherds with cord impressed decoration. Lumps of fired clay with calcite infusion in paste, were also found in the hearth and may be part of the oven fabric. Calcined flints, scrapers and flint flakes were also found in hearth deposit. In July 1955, Basil Brown experimented with a prehistoric hearth of the type described above using clay in Calke Wood and after a few firings achieved some well fired pottery - experiments described in work reports to IPSMG, July 1955 (S1).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM17NW5,.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V, 1,7,67-72; XXIX, 1-6; XLI, 6; LXXI, 131-134; XCI, 163,164; XC, BKC 6-9; cards 363,364, m.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <M2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <R2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1973-18, 1973.
- <S2> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2021 10:32AM