Monument record WSW 211 - Multiple probable post medieval boundary banks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||WEST STOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (9)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY? (Unknown date)
- PLANTATION BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRACKWAY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
October 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An area of earthwork banks, of a probable post medieval date, are seen on aerial photographs and visualised lidar data (S1-S2). The banks most likely relate to post medieval boundary banks forming a system of boundaries, plantation boundaries, possible trackways and possible tree belts. The majority of the banks are not seen on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (S3) aside from the bank located at TL 8219 7238 where the western part of the bank is seen as a trackway on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map. The bank located at TL 8128 7207 can be seen as an earthwork in the 1940s and has since levelled .The banks are in close proximity to a large boundary bank (WSW 049) and probable parish boundary banks (WRW 076).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 28th October 2019.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/3G/TUD/UK/60 V 5063-5064 05-FEB-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S2> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Kings Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S3> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2020 12:39PM