Monument record BRA 002 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1378 7132 (85m by 58m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAISEWORTH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
St Mary's Church and churchyard. Mortuary chapel, remains of St Mary's Church. Mortuary chapel marked on OS 1:10560 map, undated. Note: Brass against N wall.
Of the old church only the chancel remains, with a small Norman slit window and a simple piscina. On the floor is a small brass effigy of Alexander Newton in armour, 1569. The new church built in 1857 has had built into it the fine Norman S doorway from the old church and the outer doorway of the porch is probably the Old Norman doorway for the N of old nave (S1).
- <S1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H M, Suffolk Churches, 228.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2012 11:10AM