Monument record EYE 012 - Cranley Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1521 7278 (164m by 153m)|
|Civil Parish||EYE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOVECOTE (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- GARDEN (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- STABLE (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- BARN (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- MALT HOUSE (16th century to 17th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Undated)
Moat (partly filled in) - Cranley hall (inhabited moat).
Dagger, 3 horseshoes, millstone, C15 pottery (R1)(R2).
Moat shown on a C20 tracing of a map of 1626 as being only slightly more extensive than it is now. Small formal garden shown on one side of the house and a dovecote on the other, on the edge of the moat - only the timber-framed house survives of this group. Courtyard group of four farm buildings (3 of which still survive: stable, barn & ?malthouse) shown adjacent to the moat on the N side. Hall sold by Henry Grey to Myles Edgar shortly before 1626 - remained in the occupation of the Edgar family until 1705 (S1)(S2). Site mapped again in 1726 for Charles, Lord Cornwallis (S3).
March 2001: scheduled (S4)
- <S1> SSF21901 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HD 78: 2671 Eye.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 963-58, 1963.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of part of (S3).
- <R2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 969-55, 1969.
- <S2> SSF5584 (No record type): Easton T & Martin E, Cranley Hall, PSIA 37 pt 4, 1992, 395-8 (figs).
- <S3> SSF21898 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, HA68/484/753.
- <S4> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2015 3:11PM