Farmstead record SDG 048 - Farmstead: Hill Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4346 8348 (97m by 122m)|
|Civil Parish||SHADINGFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
- FARMSTEAD (17th century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD T PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- BARN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- SERVICE WING (17th century to 18th century - 1600 AD to 1799 AD)
- REGULAR COURTYARD E PLAN (19th century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Hill Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular T-plan with an additional E-plan range set farther away. The farmhouse is detached and set away from the yards. The farmstead sits alongside a public road in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with modern sheds on site. The farmstead appears to have been divided and turned into two farms.
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- --- SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- --- SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- --- SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2022 12:34PM