Monument record BNH 170 - Possible Medieval – post medieval square enclosure.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (7)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- DITCH (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- STOCK ENCLOSURE? (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A square enclosure of a possible Medieval – post medieval date is seen as an earthwork (which has been subsequently levelled) on aerial photographs (S1-S3). The square enclosure is most likely a Medieval- post medieval stock enclosure. The square enclosure is seen as an earthwork in the 1940s, been levelled by the 1950s and subsequently seen as a cropmark. The enclosure is cut by a modern trackway also seen on the 1940s aerial photographs. The enclosure is in close relation to a series of probable post medieval banks and ditches to the east (BNH 171) and is approximately 600m to the north of the possible site of Wordwell Warren (WRW 043). The enclosure is not seen of the Frist Edition Ordnance survey map (S4).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 16th January 2020.
- <S1> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7GR/LOC348 FS 2218-2219 27-MAY-1944 (HEA Laser Copy).
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/LA/129 FP 1103-1104 14-FEB-1945 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/82/1208 F22 0131-0132 02-JUN-1955 (HEA Original Print).
- <S4> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2020 11:50AM