Farmstead record DBN 209 - Farmstead: (Low Farm)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1581 6180 (133m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||DEBENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
(Low Farm), Debenham. 19th century farmstead and farmhouse.Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. Total loss of the traditional farm buildings. Located within a hamlet (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
The cropmarks of a possible medieval and post medieval farmstead of Low Farm and associated fields can be seen on EH Reconnaissance aerial photographs taken in 2011. These cropmarks are situated south-west of Debenham, near Grange Farm at TM 1581 6180. The cropmarks reflect those parts of the farm still in existence in 1885 along with other elements immediately to the south-east (S7).
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF22198 Map: 1840. Debenham Tithe Map.
- <S7> SSZ54996 Oblique Aerial Photograph: English Heritage Archive. Oblique Aerial Photograph. 27100_033-045.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2022 12:18PM