Farmstead record FRD 040 - Outfarm: Fen Farm (Fen Cottages)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2177 6046 (78m by 68m)|
|Civil Parish||FRAMSDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Fen Farm (Fen Cottages), Framsden. 19th century outfarm. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan formed by working agricultural buildings. The location of the farmhouse is uncertain. Total change to the site with complete loss of the traditional farm buildings. Located within an isolated position. The cottages next to the yard on the 1st editional map appear to have been converted from a single building, presumably the farmhouse. Several of the cottages have nbow been converted back into one building (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF59542 Map: 1839. Framsden Tithe Map.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2020 2:15PM