Monument record WCB 005 - Square enclosure, probably moat (S1).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 123 649 (81m by 89m)|
|Civil Parish||WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Square enclosure, probably moat (S1).
On 1st ed. 25 inch map shown as Talbot's Barn, two sides (S & W) wet, N & E sides marked by boundaries but dry. Two semi-detached cottages in SW corner, certainly looks like moat on map (S2)(R1).
Marked on OS 1: 10560, undated.
Cropmarks of a possible medieval/post medieval moated enclosure visible at TM 1235 6497in fields to the south of Brockford Green which can be seen on aerial photographs taken in 2015 as part of the Historic England Reconnaissance Recording programme. It measures c.60m 70m and was marked as a sub-divided field bounded on the south and west by a water-filled ditch with a footbridge, containing at least one small building, but not marked as a farm. The surviving field drains to the south-west and south east link into the corners of possible moat. (S3)
- <R1> SSF12880 (No record type): OS, 25 inch map, 1st edition.
- <S1> SSF18757 (No record type): SAU, APs ADE 27, ADF 32, 1976.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ADE 27, ADF 32.
- <S2> SSF19939 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, January 1988.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 12:35PM