Monument record CRM 003 - Riverside Farm, Creeting St Mary.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1055 5438 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST MARY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (6)
Building - ? villa. Wall foundation - cemented flint and limestone. Floor - cement and rubble. Several tesserae, tiles, painted wall plaster, pottery (S1). Found while digging field drains.
2019: metal detecting in this field associated with evaluation CRM 103 found 2 Roman coins and a Roman metal bowl.
C. 2011. This record notes a Mesolithic Harpoon found on this site. In the metadata for the HER find record it is noted as being a Portable Antiquities Scheme find. In 2020, no record of this find can be found in the PAS database or other source such as Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute, (S2).
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 957-111, 1957.
- <S2> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF59825 Bibliographic reference: Scott, E. 1993. A gazetteer of Roman villas in Britain. Site number SU 7..
- <S5> SSF55968 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and F. A. Aberg. 1957. Archaeology in Suffolk 1957.
- FSF33212: WALL PAINTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF36237: HARPOON (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF36238: ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF7445: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7446: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7447: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF7448: WALL COVERING (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Riverside Farm, Creeting St Mary. (ESF27349)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation, Riverside Farm, Creeting St Mary. (ESF27350)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation - Riverside Barn, Creeting St Mary (Ref: OASIS-johnnewm1-348048) (ESF26640)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 12:24PM