Monument record WTN 003 - Belgic/IA pottery from black earth patches (S2). (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1845 5026 (75m by 67m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WITNESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Belgic/IA pottery from black earth patches in gravel pit/s (S2)(S3). (Note: HER formerly recorded these as monument type 'pits'.
'The pottery, including Samian, was found in black earth patches exposed in the gravel pit beside the Ipswich road nearly opposite the (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)' (S3)(R1).
Found (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) by Basil Brown and S Page. The pit to the W also showed indications of two hut sites with fire holes and animal bones according to Brown's report (S1).
See also Rom.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, LXXXIX, 76; XCVIII, 83, 84.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 25, (2), 216, 1951.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1949-165, 1949.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15SE1.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2009 10:36AM