Monument record BRH 009 - Chapelfields
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 132 515 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||BARHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1932: Three skeletons found facing downwards (S5)(S6).
Skeletons discovered in gravel pit. Observation in 1949 by S E West suggests haphazard burials, men women and children in almost equal proportions.
Traditional site of battle between Saxon and Danes (S6)(R1).
? Med plague pit.
Basil Brown visited site with S Page 14 May 1949. Found fragments of Med pottery and human bone. He excavated one burial which lay feet to E and a second lying in the same orientation. Amongst burials wall footings of what appeared to be a rectangular building were also examined. Part of a glazed Med floor tile was found. Near a portion of skull lay the base of a Med pottery vessel - photograph in archive (S1).
Mr Gooding, owner of the pit, gave B Brown the base of a Med jug with thumbed decoration near base and violet glaze which was found in the top level of the pit. Also a small figure of a man's head made of plaster resembling terracotta (S2).
Cutting from EADT 8 August 1959 reports find of a skull embedded in the side of the pit by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S3).
Circa 1967: Numerous `Anglo-Saxon' skeletons found in gravel pit. Calvin Wells report on skeletal remains. Details in (S5)(R1(R2).
October 1995: Two further skulls in material deposited by gravel workings (S4). Site name and finds and bone report suggest chapel site rather than battlefield.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive : volumes, card index.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, IX, 73, 77, 78; XCVI, 142; card index 23; XC (photo).
- <R1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 967-112, 1967 (inc bones report, C Wells).
- <M2> SSF43971 (No record type): Photographs : BHZ 2-4.
- <S2> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XIII, 77; XCI, 102.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 31, 1967, 73.
- <S3> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XIII, 81.
- <S4> SSF19354 (No record type): SAU, Loader T, site report, October 1995.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15SW17, 1978.
- <S6> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 22, 1934, 131.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 1:44PM