Farmstead record WCB 140 - Farmstead: Hubbards Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1224 6548 (57m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Hubbards Farm, Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford. 19th century farmstead and 17th century farmhouse. Regular courtyard U-shaped plan, formed by working agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. Total change to the farmstead layout. Located within a hamlet (S1-6).
Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.
The original cottage timber framework is at the centre of the extended house of today. The timbers, and a black diamond pattern brick chimney, are estimated at c. 1695.There were a pair if tiny workers' cottages in the grounds until the substantial rebuild which too place in 1979, and there is 1952 photo showing the original layout with thatched roofs (S7).
- <S1> SSF59079 Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S4> SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S5> SXS50102 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1949. Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1, mile, 3rd edition. 1:10,560.
- <S6> SSF60025 Map: 1841. Wetheringsett cum Brockford Tithe Map.
- <S7> SSF60288 Personal Correspondence: 2022. Disqus comment on WCB 140 from owner of property. https://heritage.suffolk.gov.uk/Monument/MSF44355#comment-5677382598.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2022 10:27AM