Monument record WHR 015 - A probable Post Medievel tree enclosure is visible on aerial photographs on Bourne Hill, Wherstead
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 160 413 (120m by 99m)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Single ditched enclosure with a smaller enclosure in NE corner (R1). Noted in 1962 as 'earthwork or camp, ? Roman' (S1). Shows as earthwork subcircular enclosure, circa 100m x 70m, shadow mark in grass meadow on (S2).
A probable Post Medieval tree enclosure is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on TM 16034135 near Bourne Hill, Wherstead. The enclosure is sub-circular in shape, measuring 114m at its widest point. It consists of a single low bank with a possible narrow outer ditch. (S2) (S3) (S4) The 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey 25" maps of circa 1884 and 1904 (S5) (S6) show that the field in which the enclosure is located was formerly part of Wherstead Park. A stand of trees exactly the same shape as the enclosure, called 'Round Covert', is also depicted on the maps. Trees are still visible within the enclosure in the 1940s. It seems likely that the earthwork was constructed when the park was laid out either to define the area to be planted or to protect the trees from animals in the park. (S7)
- <R1> SSF12352 (No record type): OS (RAF APs).
- <S1> SSF15294 (No record type): Owles E, note on IPSMG map, 1962.
- <M1> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands, AP, 105.3, 1962.
- <S2> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1641/1 (RHF 11438/3) XX-XXX-1962.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 82/1088 F21 0081 17-FEB-1955.
- <S4> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65094 017-018 03-NOV-1965.
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S6> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S7> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 25/09/03.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF55974 Article in serial: Owles, E. J. and N. Smedley. 1962. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1962.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 26 2021 2:56PM