Monument record WHR 028 - Ring ditch, circa 20m diameter, excavated 1980, see details.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1527 4085 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Ring ditch, circa 20m diameter, a little to the SW of ring ditch, WHR 027 (S1).
1980: Excavated - still visible as slight mound prior to excavation. Ditch 30m in diameter, 6m wide and 2.16m deep. A pit 2m long, 1.2m wide and 0.4m deep was found towards the centre of the ring; no signs of a burial were however discovered. Samples taken for phosphate analysis. A scatter of pottery was found within the ring, including several sherds of Grooved ware. IA & Rom sherds were recovered from the upper silts of the ditch (S2). Radiocarbon date of 4770 +/- 70bp (HAR - 4630) from layer 0102 in the fill of the ditch.
Details in (S4).
- <S1> SSF18473 (No record type): SAU, AP AGF 12.
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: AGF 12' (S3).
- <S2> SSF376 (No record type): Archaeol Excav in Suff, 1980, PSIA, 35, 1981, (1), 79.
- <M2> SSF46895 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <S3> SSF6229 (No record type): Farrands, AP 171.6.1977.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 35 (1), 1981, 79.
- FSF23297: POTTERY GROOVED (Late Neolithic - 2820 BC to 2351 BC)
- FSF23298: (Late Neolithic to Unknown - 2820 BC)
- FSF23299: (Late Neolithic to Unknown - 2820 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2016 4:28PM