Monument record IPS 004 - Portman's Walk, Recreation Road, Ipswich, (IAS 9601), (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 1543 4434 (point)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1920: Five unretouched blades/flakes, two scrapers, ten others, including one long backed blade 10cm long, sandstone disc. "Found in ballast gravel" (S1).
Described as `Neolithic implement found AD 1920' in (S2).
Billington (S5) regards these as Terminal Palaeolithic. See also (S6)
Possibly duplicate in part of IPS 003 (S7)
See also (S3, S4).
- <S1> SSF12938 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1924-26. OS, 6" map, 1924-25. OS, 6" map, 1924-25.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SE8.
- <S3> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 9601.
- <S4> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 9601.
- <S5> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 258.
- <S6> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 196.
- <S7> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF16517: BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF43207: LONG BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF43209: DISC (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF50032: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 13 2021 10:23AM