Monument record IPS 083 - Wallers Grove? Ipswich
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1475 4349 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1950: Iron Age hearth and Hut site. An extensive spread of ashblackened sand revealed at a depth of four feet in a sewei trench opened in one ofthe dry lateral valleys on the south side of the Orwell-Gipping valley was excavated by Messrs. Spencer and West in 1950. Although from the nature of the site and the subsequent growth of young trees over it no data could be recovered as to the plan or dimensions, the spot had obviously been occupied by some form of dwelling. A sling pellet of baked clay, triangular clay loom-weights, and broken pottery scattered over the floor dated the occupation to the later phase of the pre-Roman Iron Age. An Anglo-Saxon bronze ring brooch was found in the overlying soil (S1-S3).
Also Mesolithic Microlith and Flake, (S4).
- <S1> SSF11006 Article in serial: Maynard, G.. 1950. RECENT ARCILEOLOGICAL FIELD WORK IN SUFFOLK. Maynard G, PSIA, 25, 1950, 213.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SW18, 1977.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card, October 1950.
- <S4> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11473.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF16579: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF16580: LOOMWEIGHT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF16581: SLING SHOT (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- FSF51590: MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF51591: FLAKE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF764: ANNULAR BROOCH (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 12:11PM