Monument record BRG 002 - Roman artefact scatter of three coins.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 890 663 (51m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BARTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Three Rom coins were found on field at separate locations, during 1955 by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). These were sent to Cambridge Museum for identification, viz Claudius Gothicus AD 268-270, Constantius II AD 323-337, Constantius II AD 337-361. By 1960 (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) had found a fourth coin, a worn specimen which appeared to be Magnentius AD 350-353. Sketch maps supplied do not give totally clear locations but the finds appear to spread southwards and the fourth coin was found on the next field S at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) A (S1)(S2). Mislocated on IPSMG card and OS card at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XII, 1-3, 146, card index 39.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, card index.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 28, 1959, (2), 161.
- <S3> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card RB (Great Barton).
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NE13.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2013 1:48PM