Monument record SSM 011 - S of King's Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0518 3565 (79m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||STRATFORD ST MARY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Mill Mound, formerly thought to be a neolithic henge.
Cropmark of penannular ditch 89 feet in diameter externally, ditch 12 feet wide, 9 feet wide entrance. Internal cruciform feature.
Mount Field on 1837/9 Tithe Map.
See Parish File for references and argument for its identification as a mill mound.
1981: Site under crop. Nothing visible. Cropmark very easily visible by owners in dry summer a few years ago, from ground level. Cross also seen, which certainly suggests a post-mill rather than barrow or henge ditch (S1).
Still a Scheduled Monument.
- <M1> SSF37300 (No record type): SAM File:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM03NE10.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF1425 (No record type): Bradford J, Ancient Landscapes, 1957, 17, ill.
- <S2> SSF18572 (No record type): SAU, AP AJF 14.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: SAU AJF 04, McMasters ED 06, 14.
- <R3> SSF10964 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, When is a henge not a henge?, PSIA 35, pt 2, 1982, 141-3.
- <S3> SSF11092 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters, AP EC06, 14.
- <S4> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands RH, AP, Nos 65 & 66, Undated.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2021 11:56AM