Find Spot record BIL 040 - Church Farm, Bildeston, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 98 48 (316m by 322m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BILDESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A pointed Hand-axe from the surface of a ploughed field on church farm, Bildeston. Described in (S1-S5).
This is not the handaxe recorded from this parish by Smith in the Sturge Collection in the British Museum. Wymer identifies this as a natural piece, (S2).
Formerly recorded as BIL MISC
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94NE13.
- <S2> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S3> SSF17674 Bibliographic reference: Roe, Derek.. 1968. A Gazetteer of British Lower & Middle Palaeolithic sites.
- <S4> SSF21387 Bibliographic reference: Smith, R.A. 1931. Sturge Collection.
- <S5> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22822.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2019 2:52PM