Monument record CRP 001 - Medieval circular moat and findspot of Medieval pottery and mortar.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0790 5655 (139m by 152m)|
|Civil Parish||CREETING ST PETER OR WEST CREETING, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Circular moat levelled by bulldozer, November 1959, R Jardine (S1). Now shows as an oval soil mark 90m E-W by 70m NW-SE, with a ditch that averages 8m in width. Situated on the alluvial floodplain of the River Gipping. Scatter of red brick and tile fragments noted 1979 (S2). Aerial photographs show a smaller and slighter curving ditch forming an attached enclosure on the N side (S3).
Fieldwalking 1983-4 produced EMed pottery, C13-C14 pottery and a small amount of part-green-glazed pottery, together with a stone mortar and fragments of a bronze pot (S4). Recorded as `Moat Piece', arable, 1 acre 8 perches, owned by Sir William Beauchamp Proctor 1839 (S5).
Shown on OS 1: 10560 map (S3).
Compare FKM 005 & FNN 005.
- <M1> SSF42485 (No record type): APs: ACZ 16, 17, ALD 16.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1959, PSIA, 28 pt 2, 1960, 162.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM05NE18.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: finds report; notes.
- <S3> SSF18724 (No record type): SAU, APs ACZ 16, 17, ALD 16.
- <S4> SSF1224 (No record type): Birch Mel & Wendy, 1983-4.
- <S5> SSF21909 Map: 1839. Creeting St Peter Tithe Map and Apportionment. Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich, Tithe Apportionment, FDA 75/A1/1a & b.
- <S6> SSF12640 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TM 05 NE, circa 1958.
- <S7> SSF13110 (No record type): OS, AP, 93 335 161, June 1993.
- <S8> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands RH, AP, 1962.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2014 1:19PM