Monument record ASN 001 - Assington Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9351 3883 (42m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||ASSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Assington Hall, adjacent to church. Supposedly site of a monastery `in which priests prayed for the souls of those slain in the battle' (S5 - see ASN 003) until 1310 (not mentioned in Knowles and Hadcock "Medieval Religious Houses"). Possibly C14 in origin, mainly C16 red brick and later building, destroyed by fire 1957. Only W wing intact, this is mainly C19 (S1)(S3)(S4) (R1)(R2). Photographs in (S6).
A hall (with 5 horses) is recorded in the Domesday book survey in 1086. Note curving ?earthworks & tree lined ?avenue to NW & possible house platforms to S (ASN 005)(S2). Early references may relate to moated site, ASN 008.
House shown as U-shaped in 1817 (S7). Shell of the E wing survived in 1976 (S8).
See details in Lost Country Houses of Suffolk by WM Roberts.
1066 8 carucates held by Thane Siward of Malden.
1086 8 carucates belonging to Ranulf Peverl. Held by Peverells in honor of Peverel.
C12th William Lungespeye gift from the king.
C13th Andrew de Bellocampo owns.
1355 Held in Honor of Hatfield Peverel by Sir Robert Corbet linked to BSM, BXF, and COL.
C16th Gurdon family owns linked to COL. Manor is located NW of Village Church.
- <M1> SSF42981 (No record type): Photographs: BZS 19-21.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1901-1903, 226-227.
- <R1> SSF5137 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk little guides, 1957, 54-55.
- <R2> SSF21922 (No record type): Survey of Historic Parks & Gardens in Suffolk by Dr T Williamson.
- <S2> SSF4205 (No record type): Crawford O G S, AP, 3512 TL9238/1, July 1923.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: tracing of (S7).
- <S3> SSF20729 (No record type): SAU, slides BZS 19-21, 1983.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL93NW5.
- <S5> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 9-10, ill.
- <S6> SSF5721 (No record type): English Heritage, Insuring your Historic building, March 1994.
- <S7> SSF891 (No record type): Assington enclosure map 1817, SRO Bury 993/8/1,2.
- <S8> SSF18387 (No record type): SAU, AP ADH 018, 1976.
- <S9> SSF50368 Bibliographic reference: Roberts, W.M.. 2010. Lost Country Houses Of Suffolk.
- <S10> SSF58958 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Assington Manor.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2019 2:06PM