Monument record LMD 042 - Roman Villa East of Rodbridge Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 865 440 (426m by 301m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Roman Villa NE of Rodbridge House.
Cropmark of a winged building, probably a villa, with another smaller building 200 yards apart, visible on aerial photographs. Dense surface scatter of tiles (mainly tegulae and imbrices), large flints and C1-C3 pottery (S1)(S4).
1972: Shows clearly as square courtyard plan villa, with circa 32m sides, on (S3).
1981: Field ploughed. Fairly dense scatter of flint and pottery noted in stubble. Pond within scheduled area drained (S2).
1989: A very small part of the scheduled area was excavated in advance of construction at the Long Melford bypass. Very few features were identified, mainly ditches, and there was little dating evidence (S6).
1991: Said to be ploughed. Nothing remains above ground. Site only just escapes route of new Long Melford bypass (S5).
- --- SSF59825 Bibliographic reference: Scott, E. 1993. A gazetteer of Roman villas in Britain.
- --- SSF59960 Bibliographic reference: CBA. 1991. Council for British Archaeology Group 6: Bulletin.
- <S1> SSF20420 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, 1979.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <M2> SSF41636 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF12950 (No record type): OS, AP 72 092 023 , April 1972.
- <M3> SSF41637 (No record type): APs: SAU AJM 23-27; OS 72 092 023.
- <S4> SSF18879 (No record type): SAU, APs AJM 23-27.
- <S5> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
- <S6> SSF55353 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1991. Archaeology in Suffolk 1990. XXXVII (3). PSIAH, 37(2). 1990, 161.
- <S7> SSF54103 Bibliographic reference: Britannia. 1990.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF14516: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF14517: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2021 2:43PM