Find Spot record HVH 001 - Millfield, Place Farm, (Chalkstone way), Haverhill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6776 4594 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1788: Coin hoard. About 50 gold coins, Gallo-Belgic C (Mack 26 & 30) found on Place Farm in 1788 during land draining. Labourers found 3 or 4 coins scattered by the plough and then not far from them 'a piece of blue clay about 9 inches long, in shape an oblong square, containing between 40 and 50 gold coins, with a partition between each coin' (S1). Piece of clay may have been a coin mould. Coins sold to a tradesman (S1-S7).
- <S1> SSF22738 Article in serial: Walford, T. 1803. An account of a Roman Military Way, in Essex, and of Roman Antiquities, found near it, by Thomas Walford, Esq. F. A. S. in a Letter to the Rev. John Brand, Secretary. Walford T, Archaeologia 14, 1803, 72-73, map.
- <S2> SSF6651 Bibliographic reference: Frere, s. 1961. Problems of the Iron Age in southern Britain. Frere, Probs of IA in S Brit, 1961, 157, 286.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL64NE13.
- <S4> SSF59809 Article in serial: Clay, C.. 1870. Haverhill.
- <S5> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S7> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. IARCH-1B98CC, IARCH-5DD3A4.
- FSF19716: COIN HOARD (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF19717: COIN (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF19718: COIN MOULD (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2020 11:26AM