Monument record TUL 002 - "The Island"
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6659 5144 (78m by 77m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE THURLOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat, NW of village, site of hunting lodge building shown over entrance to moat within park with deer and exterior pale on map of 1735 (S3).
"The Island". Unoccupied, rectangular, isolated with additions. Wet. 1960: The moat lies in a wood and as it is full of water and there is no causeway, the central island is difficult to reach, it is slightly raised and round (S1).
1981: Interior rough brambles, undergrowth, some dead trees, moat waterfilled, fairly clear. Evidence of brick and masonry in S bank of moat, and large scatter of unfrogged brick in field adjacent to this bank (S1). 1985: Site lies on high ground with commanding views of country-side. There is a noticeable wide bank along the E side of the moat (S1). 1989: Estate to clear 80% of trees on island - visit noted low bank, circa 4m wide and 30cm high on NW side outside moat; slight raised area within S portion of moated area (circa 30cm high) & brick or tile fragments on interior - see site report/map (S2).
1991: Dead elms near site are being felled and EH are supervising work.
- <M1> SSF44361 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5226 (No record type): DOE scheduling information, 1986.
- <S2> SSF19120 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, site report on map, September 1989.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2).
- <S3> SSF50054 Map: Estate map, SRO (B), HA 540/7/1, 1735.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13846)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13619)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF13077)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (Carr R D) (Ref: SAU (Carr R D)) (ESF13960)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14554)
Record last edited
Sep 27 2021 9:42AM