Monument record TUG 004 - Near Goldings Farm, Great Thurlow, (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 675 504 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT THURLOW, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1891: Rubbish pits. Found in draining a field in 1891; first pit near the top of the slope was 6 feet deep, two similar noted a little lower down the hill.
Finds include samian, pottery (Claudio-Neronian), bronze brooch, strigil, coin of Claudius Gothicus, chalk figurine of Mercury.
1991: Items examined in Cambridge University Museum by Brian Charge: figurine `white clay not chalk', very stylised, head missing, holding curved knife in one hand, bag in other. Pottery includes C2/C3 coarseware, C3/C4 colour coated, Samian stamped base `OF.ALBI' and forms D18, 29, 30 & 37. Also iron nails.
Few sherds noted on surface, no concentrations.
A small channel which ran down the hillside close by called `Castle Ditch'. Probably relates to Rom scatter to North - TUL 003.
The traditional site of the RO finds was known to the farm manager of the Thurlow Estate but no further finds are known to have come from the area. The site lies on an east facing gravel slope now under plough. A few random sherds of RB pottery were found on the surface, but no concentration was seen that would indicate either the site of a building or the existence of the pits.
See also Saxon record
- <S1> SSF3472 Personal Correspondence: Charge B B. 1978. Letter to SAU (Carr R D), July 1978. Charge B, letter to SAU (Carr R D), July 1978.
- <S2> SSF3473 Personal Correspondence: Charge B B. 1991. November 1991. Charge B, November 1991.
- <S3> SSF5560 News Paper: 1891. East Essex & Halstead Times, January 1891. East Essex & Halstead Times, January 1891.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL65SE7.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 01-FEB-78.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. FDC 17-Jan-78.
- <S6> SSF7652 Article in serial: Hughes, T. M.. General index to vols 9-24 (1895-1922); 26-62 (1923-69). Hughes T M, PCAS 7, 1891, 252, 307.
- <S7> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 318-319.
- <S8> SSF50201 Bibliographic reference: Fox C. 1923. The Archaeology of the Cambridge Region.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF22823: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22824: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22825: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22826: FIGURINE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22827: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22828: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22829: NAIL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF22830: POTTERY COLOUR COATED (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF32682: COSMETIC SET (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF32683: STRIGIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2020 2:11PM