Monument record BXT 004 - Boxted Hall and park (PMed)

Please read our .


Boxted Hall.


Grid reference Centred TL 8277 5055 (160m by 142m)
Map sheet TL85SW


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Boxted Hall.
Spacious hall with handsome oak wainscoating, parlour at end of hall, parlour chambre and bridge with Tudor features. According to tradition the house was built originally in the late Tudor period by William Poley (S1). 'Moated beautifully situated home of Poley and Weller-Poley family from late C14 to present day. Poley line died with Richard in 1757, when estate passed to nephew George Weller, who took the name Poley. Within ten years (1767), a letter to him was referring to the Hall as 'so much altered and improved by your elegant taste.' Early C19 engravings show general structure, and position of windows, as seen today, but whole frontage has undergone Victorian 'timber-framing'. Four-arched brick bridge over moat essentially medieval. Main hall (with C17 panelling and armorial glass) and adjoining rooms still identifiable to those mentioned in lease, 1561, between John Poley and heir, in which he reserves for himself 'the parlour at the end of the hall ... with the chamber within the same parlour.' (S2). For ice-house within Park, see BXT 010.
Park associated with Hall. For details see (R2), including DMV earthworks (S3)(S4) between Hall and Church.
For ice-house see BXT 010.
Also see Med.

Taken from NRHE record:
(TL 8275 5057) Boxted Hall (NR)

16th cent, moated home, built by William Poley. Restored and modernised. Home of the Poley family since the 14th cent.Grade II.*

Boxted Hall, is surrounded by a strong moat of great breadth; the inner site is oblong, but the external bank assumes an oval form. Fromthe southern side a cutting, 50ft wide, extends some 300ft in a south-easterly direction to a large pond containing two islets.

Moat in good condition as described.

Published survey correct.

Boxted Hall (name confirmed) was built in 1560 according to the owner but is extensively modernised and not outstanding. The moat is waterfilled and generally as described in Authority 3, but now has an ornamental appearance, especially along the SE extension with the two small islands. The arms surrounding the house average 12.0m wide with a probable 16th c.brick bridge across the west arm.

Published survey 25" correct.

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 37-38, (ill).
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 3, 1863, (3), 358-374.
  • <R2> (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <S2> (No record type): Excursions 1982, PSIA, 35, 1983, (3), 240-241.
  • <S3> Photograph: OS, AP. OS, AP, 89 11 107, March 1989.
  • <S4> Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex CC, APs, BW/99/16/3-7, January 1999.
  • <S5> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S6> Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jul 2 2021 10:29AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.