Monument record GDD 001 - Gedding Hall

Please read our .




Grid reference Centred TL 9538 5857 (212m by 158m)
Map sheet TL95NE


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Moat. Large, square, circa 75m x 80m, arms circa 10m wide. E and S arms wet, remainder dry and 2.5m deep. W portion of S arm re-cut in recent times. Drawbridge in S arm. Series of four fish ponds to E, fed by stream to the S, a sluice ditch connects the moat to the ponds. Occupied, C16 gatehouse, brick house restored in 1897. Moat said to have been built first in 1273 for Sir John de Geddynge and was rebuilt in C15 by the Chamberlayne family (R2). Possible traces of earlier enclosure in front of hall. Isolated, circa 130m from parish boundary, 450m from church.
Rectangular moated island has brick revetted sides - long stretches survive on the W and N sides, with a smaller amount visible on the E side. Revetting fairly decayed; header bond. A sudden increase in the height of the walling at the N end of the W side, 8.25m long, may indicate the former presence of a N range (?the original hall). On the S side an Early Tudor brick gatehouse rises sheer from the moat. There is a contemporary brick wing attached to the E side of the gatehouse. The corner tower and the E wing were added in 1897 by Arthur Wakerley (S3). Wakerley also restored the gatehouse, replacing an earlier blocking of the gateway (shown on a print of 1818-33)on the S side with brick infill. He also probably added the window with trefoil-headed lights above the gateway. On the N side he infilled the gate arch with a large window. N side has a lozenge pattern of diaper work using dark headers. Scored lines in the mortar indicate that the wall originally had an overall red wash with painted pointing. The gabled roofs of the two S bays of the gatehouse are shown on the 1818 print, but these sit on infilled brick battlements and are probably not original.
Gedding belonged to the Chamberlain family by the early C15. The family's period of greatest power and wealth was under Sir Robert Chamberlain (circa 1435-1491), a leading Yorkist who fell from grace under Henry VII and was beheaded in 1491. He must be a strong contender to be the builder of the gatehouse and perhaps of the whole moated complex. If so the building must be placed in the 1480's, roughly contemporary with Oxburgh and Shelton Halls in Norfolk, and like them it is likely to have had a courtyard plan. This would fit with the indications already noted of a possible hall range on the N side. Gedding was sold by the Chamberlains in the 1580s and the Hall became a farmhouse (S6). Manor later owned by Buckenham family, but probably not resident.
Typed, unsigned, account of Gedding Hall of circa 1970-1971, mentions possible field boundaries in vicinity and also buildings within moated area shown on map of 1838 (S8).
Excavation in NE corner of moated platform by W Wyman, 1992-5, (see parish file for details). Resistivity survey carried out on the moated platform by Mark Cole of the Ancient Monuments Laboratory 1993 (S9.) In the event, although a number of walls and other features were located, these do not form a complete pattern.
Excavations on the moated platform by Graham Aldous (the owner) in 1927 revealed various walls (S10).
Evidence for east range cf early C16th Tudor Hall with later additions (S11).

Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.

Sources/Archives (22)

  • <M1> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP OF 14.
  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL95NE5 (ill).
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 609.
  • <R2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England (Suffolk), 1961, 207.
  • <S2> Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP OF 14, 1954.
  • <M2> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: annotated plan & field report sheet 1990; historical notes;.
  • <M3> (No record type): (S8); field reports 1992 & 1993; (S9); SAU Record of excavation 1994 &.
  • <R3> (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk (Little Guides), 1957, 170.
  • <S3> (No record type): Farquhar Jean, Arthur Wakeley 1862-1931, Leicester 1984.
  • <S4> (No record type): Cromwell T, Excursions through Suffolk, Vol I, 1818.
  • <M4> (No record type): updates 1995.
  • <R4> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 152 (plate).
  • <S5> (No record type): Wedgwood J C, History of Parliament, Commons, 1439-1509, 1936, 170-171.
  • <R5> (No record type): Williamson Dr T, Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <M5> (No record type): Photograph:.
  • <S6> (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1990.
  • <S7> (No record type): Sandon E, Suffolk Houses, 1977.
  • <S8> (No record type): `Gedding Hall', typed account, undated, unsigned, circa 1970/1971.
  • <S9> Unpublished document: English Heritage. 1993. Geophysical Survey at Gedding Hall. Cole M, Report on Geophysical Survey at Gedding Hall, Suffolk, May 1993, Ancient Monuments Laborator.
  • <S10> (No record type): Farrer E, Excursion Book 1926-7, SRO (B) HD 1926/34.
  • <S11> Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. SAU, Boulter S, Excavation Reports, 1994/5.
  • <S12> Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (3), 1995, p.352.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Sep 22 2020 1:00PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.