Monument record WIX 001 - Water Hall Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7094 4314 (59m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||WIXOE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Building scatter: tile, mortar, flint and few fragments samian. Small excavation (by who and when?) at grid reference revealed traces of flint and mortar foundations at depth of 18 inches. Cambridge University Museum card index lists sherds of Samian & coarseware, one labelled "Wixoe Villa" (S1).
Cropmark of ? villa (S2).
Ivory gaming piece (? date) and brooch fragment with millefiori enamel, found metal detecting at approximately (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s).
2005:Geophysical survey identified linear and discrete anomilies (S3)
Part of a larger complex - see WIX 003.
(TL 708433). Terra sigilata, (dated to circa
100-200 AD), found in 1929 and more Roman pottery, (dated to
circa 60 or 70-200 AD) found 1936, in Roman rubbish pits at
During field investigation a large scatter of Roman bricks,
tiles, mortar, flint and a few fragments of Samian ware were
found at TL 70944314 apparently indicating the site of a
sizeable Roman building. A small excavation at TL 70944312
revealed traces of flint and mortar foundations at a depth of
18 inches. A number of rubbish pits, containing numerous sherds
of Romano-British pottery, a few Samian fragments, two iron
nails, a knife, animal bones and oyster shells, were found in the
north and northeast face of a gravel pit at TL 70854330. (S4)
Levelling and filling of a depression at TL 708433 exposed roof
and flue tiles, tesserae, window glass and wall plaster suggesting
a villa site. Other finds included coins (mostly 1st-2nd century),
a late 1st century bronze brooch, pottery (including Samian),
bone pins, nails, iron knives and iron and slag. (R5)
- <R1> SSF2524 (No record type): BSEMH, 1985.66A; 1985.85A.
- <S1> SSF3075 (No record type): Cambridge University Museum, card index, Z24769.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BYZ 75.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BYZ 75, 1976.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL74SW19.
- <S3> SSF54550 Unpublished document: Bunn, D. and Masters, P.. 2005. Gradiometer survey of Land at Wixoe, Suffolk.
- <R3> SSF9995 (No record type): J Roman Stud, 1977, 159.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 AC 30-SEP-50.
- <R4> SSF9998 (No record type): J Roman Stud, 43, 1953, 94(?).
- <R5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1955, 46.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF21680: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21681: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21682: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21683: MORTAR (VESSEL) (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21684: GAMING PIECE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF21685: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF52423: WINDOW GLASS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52424: WALL PLASTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52425: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52426: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52427: FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52428: BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF52429: ANIMAL REMAINS (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2021 11:12AM