Monument record RBY 005 - Round Barrow.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7829 6810 (28m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||RISBY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow. Shown on OS 25 inch (S1) and 6 inch (S2) maps (S3), also OS 1st edition, c.1838 (S8).
1869: Two barrows on Long Heath Field were excavated by W Greenwell (S5).
This barrow was formerly considered to be one of these, however, Tithe Map showing `Long Heath' (centred at TL 7830 6780)(S3)(S6) suggests these were probably RBY 006 and 016.
1958: Still shown as upstanding barrow on OS 6 inch map (S2).
1962: Barrow reduced by the plough to low, spread, unsurveyable mound (S3).
1976: Under plough, fence built across it. Height circa 0.43m, diameter circa 28m (S7).
1977: Now completely levelled, leaving no evidence on the ground (S3).
- <S1> SSF12872 (No record type): OS, 25 inch map (2nd ed), 1904.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Afforestation proposal/application.
- <S2> SSF12914 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, TL 76 NE, 1958.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE3A.
- <S4> SSF10876 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, EAA, 3, 1976, 60.
- <S5> SSF7134 (No record type): Greenwell W, Examination of Suffolk Tumuli - Risby, Quat J Suff Inst Archael, 1869, 38-40.
- <S6> SSF22176 Map: 1839/40. Risby Tithe Map and Apportionment. Tithe Map: Risby 1840, Bury Record Office.
- <S7> SSF10483 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A, Priddy D, The Barrows of E Anglia, EAA 12, 1981.
- <S8> SSF50020 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey, 1st edition 1" map. c.1838.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 9:31AM