Monument record FMP 002 - Risby Poor's Heath Round Barrows (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7935 6850 (54m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||FLEMPTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Risby's Poor Heath Round Barrows.
Most easterly has diameter of 120 ft and height 3 ft. Southern part cut by hedgerow, much denuded by ploughing (S1).
1964: Excavated by F de M & H L Vatcher. Two phases of mound-building,both associated with inhumations, succeeded by a cremation episode. All early BA. Also finds of Neo, IA & Rom pottery (S3).
1981: Most easterly has completely disappeared under the plough (S1). 1986: All of surrounding former heathland is now arable. Of the boundaries shown on the scheduling maplet, only that along the N edges of a and b survives. Soil is very light and sandy. Visible as slight rise of lighter sand, with a little struck flint. Approx 35m E-W, 38m N-S (S1). Group includes a fourth, unscheduled barrow at TL 7930 6858 (FMP 003). Three sherds plain Windmill Hill ware from barrow-mound excavation. 1991: Said to be unmaintained, ploughed and at risk (S2).
See also BA, Rom.
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <M1> SSF43438 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S3> SSF22316 (No record type): Vatcher F de M & H L, Excav of a Round Barrow, Nr Poor's Heath, Risby, Suffolk, PPS 42, 1976, 275.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2021 11:14AM