Monument record FMP 002 - Risby Poor's Heath Round Barrows (Bronze Age)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7935 6850 (54m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||FLEMPTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Round Barrow, diameter 120 feet and 3 feet high, S part cut by a hedge. Much denuded by ploughing (S1).
Excavations in 1964 revealed two phase mound with double ditch. Outer ditch 24.38 x 23.47m diameter, 0.81-0.99, wide and 1.22m deep; inner ditch 23.17 x 18.9m diameter, 0.65-1.5m wide and 0.6m deep. Mound 1.06m high. Eight inhumations and fragments of others. Primary child with crude beaker/food vessel. Others include one in tree trunk coffin, one with jet spacer and three biconical beads, one with low quality beaker, one with a food vessel. Area of secondary cremations - not dated - burnt in situ. Also collared urn sherds (S2).
1976: Hedge line gone. Ploughed. Height 0.92m, diameter circa 45m. 1981: Most easterly completely disappeared under plough.
1986: Visible as slight rise of lighter sand, with a little struck flint. Approx 35m E-W, 38m N-S (S1).
See Also Neolithic and Roman records.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF22318 Article in serial: Vatcher F de M & H L. 1976. The excavation of a round barrow near Poor's Heath, Risby, Suffolk. Vatcher F de M & H L, The excavation of a round barrow near Poor's Heath, Risby, Suffolk, PPS.
- <S3> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, The Barrows of East Anglia, EAA 12, 1981.
- <S4> SSF56330 Article in serial: Smedley,N. and E. J.Owles. 1962. Pottery of the Early and Early Middle Bronze Age in Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF22947: POTTERY (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF22948: COFFIN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FSF22949: BEAD (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 1501 BC?)
- FSF22950: POTTERY COLLARED URN (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF22951: POTTERY FOOD VESSEL (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- FSF22952: POTTERY BEAKER (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Vatcher F de M & H L (Ref: Vatcher F de M & H L) (ESF15946)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13889)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13682)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13313)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2021 1:59PM