Monument record HNV 001 - Settlement Site W of Hengrave
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 828 689 (314m by 356m)|
|Civil Parish||HENGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Cropmark site, beside stream at Hengrave Mill Farm - right angled corner of double ditched enclosure. Other features visible outside including numerous large pits.
1981: N half of field pasture with old dressage rings. Lightly ploughed to W. S half under crop. Site is N of village (S1).
Two human skulls found in the bank of R Lark to the NE of the site, by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), pre 1981 (S1). Possibly related to battle of Fornham? - see FSG Misc.
1991: Not ploughed. 20/25 acre field grazed by sheep (S3).
2007: Monitoring of footings for a barn in the north-west corner of the field, identified no archaeological finds or features
On OS map site is marked as Roman settlement site, but unable to find reference as to why it is marked as such.
- <M1> SSF42801 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP AFI 99.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF18425 (No record type): SAU, AP AFX 08, AGP 09, AJ 04, 05.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP AFI 99, BNB 36; SAU AFX 008, AGP 009, AJC 04, 05.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BNB 36, 1973.
- <S3> SSF21755 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Derek Edwards), Results of Survey of SAMs, 1991.
- <S4> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Tester A, Monitoring Report, July/Aug 1994.
- <S5> SSF54196 Unpublished document: Robert Carr. 2007. Observation record: HNV 001.
- FSF16401: HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2011 3:17PM