Monument record HNV 003 - Horseshoe Ponds, Hengrave Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 825 684 (193m by 150m)|
|Civil Parish||HENGRAVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Moat, S of Hengrave Hall (S1)(R1).
Two ponds forming the SE boundary of the outer court to Hengrave Hall; the approach down the avenue (HNV 012) rom the park (HNV 011) passes between them. Shown on a map of 1588: the W one as L-shaped and the E one has roughly rectangular with a drain connecting it to the large pond to the NE (S2). Shown similarly and named as the Horse Ponds on a map of 1742 (S3). The E pond was partly desilted in 1992, when brick walling and sluice channel, possibly 16th century, were uncovered (S4).
Probably animal watering ponds. The western one being enlarged by the Gage family and Sir John Wood to the north to mirror the shape of the eastern one to give the impression of a moat. (S7)
- <M1> SSF46530 (No record type): Moat file:.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP OA 42.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW3.
- <S2> SSF21837 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury P746/1.
- <M2> SSF46531 (No record type): APs: (S1)(S5).
- <S3> SSF21831 (No record type): Suffolk Record Office, Bury 712/58.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photocopy of (S2), tracing of (S3), (S4).
- <S4> SSF3152 (No record type): Carr R D, site notes.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/13/22, June 1997.
- <S5> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Tester A, Monitoring Report, July/Aug 1994.
- <S7> SSF45004 Excavation archive: Excavation Archive. Reilly D, 1999, geophysics and Excavation at Hengrave Hall.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Duane Reilly excavation May 1999, (Ref: ) (ESF19162)
- Event - Survey: Duane Reilly, geophysical survey, May 1999 (Ref: ) (ESF19161)
- Event - Survey: Monitoring -Tester A (SCCAS) (Ref: ) (ESF18022)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (RDC) (Ref: SAU (RDC)) (ESF13304)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (RDC) (Ref: SAU (RDC)) (ESF13678)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14647)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2009 3:52PM