Monument record FSG 004 - Abbot's Mill

Please read our .


Deserted medieval village (S1).


Grid reference Centred TL 840 683 (284m by 428m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TL86NW


Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Deserted medieval village (S1).
Abbot of Bury St Edmunds had villa (see FSG 003) and a water mill (FSG 009) here, estate known in early times as Abbot's Mill. For post dissolution hall see FSG 003. For layout of village in 1769, prior to major rebuild (& demolitions?) by 12th Duke of Norfolk, see (S2). HER'd area enlarged after (S2) in July 1996.
`Houses near church said to have disappeared due to formation of Fornham Park sometime between 1769 and 1788' (S3), prior to 1783 (S4).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Beresford M and Hurst J G. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p. 203.
  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW17.
  • <S2> (No record type): Warren T, `Survey of Parish of Fornham St Genevieve...', 1769, SRO (Bury).
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Goult. W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: W Suffolk,.
  • <S4> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 6 2014 3:02PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.