Monument record BRG 004 - Medieval moat, only west and north side remains.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 886 680 (162m by 117m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BARTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1911: `At Conyer's Green, Leeds Wood, N-E of Necton Hall, a large part of a moat remains. The eastern and part of the southern sides have been levelled' (S1).
Moat (part). Inhabited (R1).
Current OS shows east and south sides re-excavated. the ditched enclosure is on the north side of Conyers Green as shown on Hodskinson's map (S2).
1999: An evaluation for a new building on the medieval moat recorded evidence of occupation from the 13th-14th century overlying a clay layer, sealing boulder clay, which was interpreted as upcast from the excavation of the moat ditch. A linear line of flint cobbles may possibly be of medieval date. A linear feature, interpreted as a small ditch, indicates a level of activity on the site in the 18th century (S3).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NE16.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: map extracts (S2).
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 610.
- <S2> SSF50036 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, R D Carr, 1999.
- <S3> SSF58433 Unpublished document: Loader, T.. 1999. Archaeological Evaluation Report: The Moat House, Conyers Green, Great Barton, Bury St Edmunds.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 22 2018 1:30PM