Monument record BNH 006 - West Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8600 7665 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Slab of impure copper (not bronze).
Found at N face of a pit at West Farm in 1953. Surface of slab heavily oxidised and carbonated, edges show torn columnar crystals - evidence of the tearing of the piece from a larger slab (S2).
Basil Brown places find just S of the grid reference in the pit itself and notes: "Large lump of prehistoric bronze found near pit 1953, weight one and a quarter pounds, at Honington School per A Clark, Honington. Given to Basil Brown in 1957." (S1).
Note cited grid reference is Farm itself! Plotted on N edge of pit shown on OS 1:10560 map directly to S of farm. Plotted at TL 8601 7663 on OS record map (S3), also note bronze socketed axe hoard next to pit further to S (N of Lodge Farm) - Culford 006.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCI, 102, map 6.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume, map, sketch.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 957-151, 1957.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87NE6, 1:10560 record map.
- <S4> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 27, 1957, (3), 178.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 4:03PM