Monument record ING 002 - Cowpath Breck, Place Farm.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8572 7178 (50m by 50m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||INGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Cemetery: 18 inhumations, 1 cremation in red fabric pot. Found in railway construction at depths of 3.5 - 5 feet, in 1873.
6 of the inhumations examined by Prigg. Associated coffin nails, Nene Valley rouletted beaker and sherd "resembling Samian" with relief hunting dogs. Orientations mainly W-E, some N-S. Also a group of rubbish pits with animal bone and potsherds (S1)(S2).
"Not much could be seen as the field was planted with sugar beet but a pronounced blackness of soil was apparent at the end of the field towards S and there were many patches of stones, also a depression (ancient) which should be visible from the air. No pottery fragments could be seen on the field. BB 7/6/1951", followed by a sketch of the site (S1). October 1991: trial trenching to S to determine S limit of cemetery prior to gravel pit application, failed to locate any features other than former railway cutting. Plan of trenches in file (S3).
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, X, 112; XL 42; XCVIII, 80.
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 310-311.
- <S2> SSF16598 (No record type): Prigg H, PSIA, 6, 41-54.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S2)(S3).
- <S3> SSF20860 (No record type): SAU, Tester A, plan, October 1991.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 12:38PM