Monument record LML 004 - 'Seven Hills' Barrow Group
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8633 7371 (25m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE LIVERMERE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow, part of the 'Seven Hills' group (see ING 004, LML 002 and 005). Situated in a mixed plantation.
1868: Reported to have been 'recently' slightly trenched into by some friends of the estate owner, Hunter Rodwell of Ampton Hall, but without success (S1).
1962: Bowl barrow in good condition although planted with fir trees. Averages 26.5m in diameter and is 1.8m high. No trace of a ditch (S2). 1969: 4 feet high and 50 feet diameter. Evidence of recent digging - two small holes on SE quadrant, one small hole near centre. Tree covered (S3). 1976: In woodland, otherwise good condition. Mound covered with trees and bracken, 1.76m high and 21m diameter (S4).
1981: 4 feet high and 50 feet diameter. Old animal burrows, evidence of digging mentioned in 1969 not now apparent. Barrow covered in bracken and brambles. Some tree felling - roots left in (S3).
1986: As in 1981. Planted with conifers (S3).
1999: Scheduled area revised (to include LML 002, 005 & ING 004). Details in (S3).
- <R1> SSF18401 (No record type): SAU, AP AEC 4.
- <M1> SSF37252 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF7138 (No record type): Greenwell W, The Seven Hills, Ampton, Quart JSIA, 1869, 19-20.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL87SE1B.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: SAU, AEC 4.
- <M3> SSF37254 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <S3> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF18033 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1976, Barrow Survey.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Goad J G) (Ref: DOE (Goad J G)) (ESF13416)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13982)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13912)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Wardale C F) (Ref: OS (Wardale C F)) (ESF12225)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13735)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:07PM