Monument record IXW 012 - Ixworth Priory (now `Ixworth Abbey') (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 929 705 (355m by 802m)|
|Civil Parish||IXWORTH, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Priory of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Ixworth. Priory of Augustinian Canons founded 1170 - the priory buildings constructed 1170, canons introduced 1172 (S1).
Note: Copinger (S10) records priory as being rebuilt (following Stephen/Matilda conflict in later C12) in a separate location to the earlier priory.
Norman church was cruciform, circa 22ft long, with an aisled chancel. Chancel extended C13 and a N aisle added to nave in C14. Probably a W tower. Foundations of the church and the bases of piers can be seen in the grass N of the house. Part of the W end stands to a height of a few feet. Parts of the monastic buildings are embedded in the house called Ixworth Abbey. The E dormitory range is fairly complete except for the chapter house at its N end. Undercroft has fine C13 vaulting, divided into several rooms. Of the S refectory range only some walling at the E end survives, with evidence of a pulpit. E of the dormitory range and connecting with it is the late C15 timber-framed prior's apartment, probably on the site of an earlier building. Reredorter may have been to the north. No trace of the W range (S5).
Pre 1962 plan drawn by P G M Dickinson for the National Monument Record. Diagrammatic plan based on it, published in (S6).
1962: mention of a projected excavation by St Paul's School, London (S7).
1987: masonry fragments from an exavation examined by R D Carr (see parish file).
OS notes foundations, supposedly of the church crop up intermittently on the outside of the garden ha-ha (S7).
A series of ponds and `moats' to the N of the priory seem to have been fishponds - those in the enclosure centred at TL 9300 7070 are marked as `The Mereyard, Fish Pondes and Stewes' on a map of 1625 (S8). This map also names the enclosure centred on TL 9285 7075 as `The Castle Yard'. Several other buildings shown on this map (for details see PMed).
C13 Pilgrim Badge from Rocomador, SW France, found in the field to the W of the Priory at circa TL 928 703.
Papal bulla found at TL 9285 7090 (see IXW Misc). (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)
See also IXW 031 for Esax and Med metalwork finds.
See also Pmed.
- <S1> SSF10381 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles D & Hadcock R N, Medieval Religious Houses of England & Wales, 1971, 141 & 161.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 84.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copies of (S6) & (S8), part copy of 1847 Tithe Map;.
- <M2> SSF41234 (No record type): metalwork list; field reports RDC 1987.
- <S2> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk II, 1907, 105-7.
- <S3> SSF5393 (No record type): Dugdale W, Monasticon VI, 311.
- <S4> SSF17758 (No record type): Rowe J, Ixworth Abbey- A Short History and Simple Guide, 1964.
- <S5> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 309-310.
- <S6> SSF9949 (No record type): Ixworth Abbey, guide leaflet, no date or author.
- <S7> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL97SW38.
- <S8> SSF21552 (No record type): SRO Bury, acc 1991, photographic copy of an 1834 copy of a 1625 map; details of map also reproduced .
- <S9> SSF17907 (No record type): Sandon E, Suffolk Houses, 1977, 308.
- <S10> SSF50037 Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by St Pauls School, London (Ref: St Pauls School, London) (ESF15325)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (RDC) (Ref: SAU (RDC)) (ESF12642)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (RDC) (Ref: SAU (RDC)) (ESF13480)
- Event - Survey: Survey by Dickinson P G M (Ref: Dickinson P G M) (ESF14364)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2019 11:14AM