Monument record KNE 009 - Knettishall Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9497 8044 (59m by 62m)|
|Civil Parish||KNETTISHALL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Possible Warren Mound. Med or PMed.
Low, wide, circular (rabbit warren?) mound, much disturbed, with an encircling slight bank and marked ditch (over 50m in diameter, cf Brandon White Hill - BRD 123). Under heathland vegetation on Knettishall Heath.
Sited to TL 9497 8036 from AP (S1). Mapped by OS to TL 9498 8045 (S2). Adjoins irregular pit as shown on 1905 OS 25" map.
TL 94988045 - Situated on relatively level heathland below the brow of a slight ridge at c 30.0m. OD is an unusual ringwork covered by bracken, brambles and heather. It is almost circular, measures 50.0m. in diameter overall and consists of a ditch c9.0m. wide by 1.0 to 1.4m. deep around an almost level platform c32.0m. in diameter with slight traces of a bank on the NW rim. On the SE of the platform is a small mound c7.0m. in diameter by 0.5m. in height with a slight depression in the top. There is no trace of a causeway across the ditch.
Surveyed at 1:2500 (on Diazo Copies) (S3)
Almost certainly an unusual form of Bronze Age barrow, perhaps a disc variant or an enclosed cremation cemetery. (S4)
- <S1> SSF18577 (No record type): SAU, AP AJH 7.
- <M1> SSF43635 (No record type): AP: AJH 7.
- <S2> SSF12553 (No record type): OS, 1:10000 map, TL 98 SW, 1983.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Knettishall Heath Management Report, Sussams K, October 1995.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 RD 03-JUN-81.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F2 CFW 01-SEP-81.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2021 3:29PM